Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bread Bowls

Today was a stormy rainy day so I decided to make broccoli cheddar soup and since we didn't have any bread bowls I decided to try to make them homemade. I know some of you are super awesome and this is no big deal for you but I was so excited to make them and see how they came out. They where so easy to make and we delicious! I felt like a little super mommy in the kitchen tonight whipping up homemade bread bowls for my family. I got the recipe of Cathy Twitchell's blog, I am going to post it here as well so I always have it and so those of you who don't read her blog can have the recipe too. Thanks Cathy for posting it! It was delicious! I was going to post pictures of me ever so proud with my bread bowls but my camera battery was dead.

French Bread Soup Bowls

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups warm water
3 tablespoons sugar
2 packages dry active yeast
1 tablespoon salt
5 tablespoons oil
6 cups all-purpose flour

Method:
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric bread mixer, combine warm water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top and stir. Wait 10 minutes until yeast mixture is frothy. Add salt, oil, and half of the flour. Beat well in mixer or with a wooden spoon. Add remaining flour and mix well until a soft dough forms. You may need to add a little more flour. You don't want the dough to be very sticky. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead 2 or 3 times to coat with flour. Divide into 8 to 10 equal parts, depending on size of bowls desired. Form into large balls and place in small foil pans (small pot pie pans work well). Allow dough bowls to rise for 45 minutes or until the bowls are the size you want. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans. Cut off tops and hollow out insides. Serve with soup.
Makes 8 to 10 bowls.

4 comments:

Momma Twitch said...

Awesome!!Congrats on making bread bowls, I'm glad they turned out great!

Josh and Diana Lee said...

I love getting new recipies! You are definitely a super mommie!! I love Reese's costume. She looks adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipie. I love try new things. hopefully mine will come out as good as yours did.

Jessie said...

Oh..yummy!!! I am not a fan of cooking so when I make something like that I am so proud of myself!